Paint Your Carpet Stains
We love the idea of covering stains and reviving a carpet with upholstery paint. It saves hundreds of dollars and the hassle of getting rid of an old carpet.
1. Thoroughly clean the carpet before painting. You don’t have to steam clean it, but scrub up the worst stains and vacuum so dust and dirt don’t mix with the paint.
2. Skip priming and just spray paint two or three coats, depending on how deep you want the color. Make sure it’s dry to the touch before spraying another coat.
- Don’t confuse upholstery paint, good for carpets, with fabric paint, good for T-shirts.
- If you get heavy handed and paint clumps, loosen the area with a bristle brush and dab up excess paint.
- Six cans of spray paint will cover an 8-foot-by-10-foot carpet with at least two coats.